Photo Credits: Etters HVAC
HVAC Technicians install, maintain, and repair heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems. Many HVAC technicians opt to specialize in areas such as commercial refrigeration, climate control, or air quality and transfer, while others are experts in all aspects of HVAC design and implementation.
- Use complex thinking to find & implement solutions?
- Understand how things work and how to fix them?
- Use strength and coordination on the job?
- Respond quickly to restore comfort?
About HVAC Technicians
What HVAC Technicians do
- Install, maintain, and repair entire HVAC systems
- Use welding equipment to connect piping
- Work with hand & power tools
- Test for leaks in HVAC systems
- Read blueprints
- Prepare cost estimates
Residential and/or commercial sites
Indoor and/or outdoor
Sometimes work in inclement weather
Where HVAC Technicians work
- Residential and/or commercial Plumbing, heating, and air-conditioning contractors
- Wholesale and/or retail trade
Work scheduleMay include some:
What it takes to become a HVAC technicianEducation/Training
- High school diploma or equivalency
- Two-year trade or vocational school (*some online programs available)
- Detail oriented
- Problem solver
- Math Skills
- Team player
- Physical strength and stamina
- Communication skills
- Customer service skills